These tasty little crustaceans are really worth the effort it takes to catch them
For images, videos and the full RV Daily experience, read this in our online magazine.
- 24 raw yabby tails, peeled
- ½ block butter (125g)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion or shallots
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
- 200mL thickened cream (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the tails, discarding the heads/thorax.
Peel off the shells to leave just the tail meat. Set aside.
- In a large pan over gas flame or coals, melt the butter and sauté the onion and garlic until soft and golden. Stir in the herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- At this point, you can also add the cream if you prefer a creamy sauce.
- Add the yabby tails and cook until the tails go a darker pink/red in colour and become coated with the sauce.
- Serve as an entrée with a toothpick in each tail, or serve on a bed of rice with the sauce poured over.