An old classic that will become a new favourite.
For images, videos and the full RV Daily experience, read this in our online magazine.
3 cups self-raising flour
½ block butter, cut into two pieces
1 cup white sugar
3 cups brown sugar
3 cups water
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Lightly grease your small camp oven and place over coals or a gas flame.
- Cream together ½ the butter (60g), vanilla essence and the white sugar in a bowl.
- Add the flour, pinch of salt and milk and mix to a soft, sticky dough.
- Melt the other half of the butter in your camp oven, then add the brown sugar, water and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil, stirring well to ensure the brown sugar is completely melted.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of the dough mixture into the syrup.
- Lower the heat to simmer and put the lid on. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the dumpling layer is cooked (they won’t be gooey when pressed).