Sweet and Sour Pork
This quick and easy recipe is faster than getting take-away!
- 500g boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 red or green capsicum, cut into strips
- 250g tin pineapple pieces in juice (drained, but save the juice)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced green beans
- ¼ cup cornflour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the soy sauce, sugar and beaten egg in a bowl.
- Toss in the cubed pork (about one-inch cubes) and mix really well, working into the pork.
- Season the cornflour with salt and pepper, then add to the pork and egg mixture – stir and coat really well. Use a fork or tongs to pull out individual pieces.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat and add a splash of oil. Fry the pork pieces for a few minutes until brown and cooked through. Remove and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and pineapple to the oil and fry – while stirring – for a few minutes until lightly cooked.
- Mix vegetables with the pork and pour over the sauce. Serve with boiled rice.
EASY SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
Whisk 1⁄4 cup cornflour with 1⁄4 cup water. In a large saucepan over medium heat, mix together: 1 cup water, 3⁄4 cup sugar, 1⁄2 cup white/apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup tomato sauce, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and the pineapple juice. Bring to the boil, then stir in the cornflour mixture and cook – stirring until thick and shiny.