A potential compliance issue with gas safety standards for installation sparks Auto-Trail Motorhomes Recall of 446 vehicles.
Product Safety Australia has issued a recall for a range MyRV Auto-Trail motorhomes vehicles listed below:
- AutoTrail – MyRV NB (Variants: Apache, FB, Delaware)
- MyRV – Fiat Ducato II Series (Variants: FB, EB, EKS, Imala, Delaware, Scout)
- MyRV -AL-KO Fiat Ducato II TA (Comanche)
- MyRV -AL-KO Fiat Ducato II SA (Delaware, Scout)
The list of affected vehicle VINs is available in the official recall notice.
What are the defects?
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) is a colourless, highly flammable gas that may leak and build up inside the caravan where the consumer gas piping is located inside the caravan.
Some models may have defects in relation to the relevant gas safety standard for installation in caravans for non-propulsive purposes:
- LP Gas cylinder compartments are not correctly sealed or vented.
- Ventilation of the living area is not sized or located correctly.
- Gas safety labelling does not comply with the requirements for gas systems in recreational vehicles.
What are the hazards?
In the event of a gas leak, the following may occur:
1. Incorrect LP gas cylinder storage and venting increases the risk of any leaking gas not dispersing or being diluted to safe levels. Any build-up of LP Gas increases the risk of fire or explosion.
2. Insufficient ventilation provisions may cause a build-up of products of combustion from gas appliances within the motorhome and there may be a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, which could result in serious illness, injury or death.
What should consumers do?
Consumers can continue to use their gas appliances but should have the windows, door or roof vent open for more ventilation until the vehicle is repaired.
Affected owners will be contacted by email/phone/direct mail. Consumers should contact their nearest Elite RV Service Centre via https://www.auto-trail.com.au/contact-auto-trail-australia/ to arrange for modifications to the installation, free of charge.
For further information, consumers can contact MyRV Pty Ltd on 0419 787 701.
Supplier: MyRV Pty Ltd
Traders who sold this product: Elite RV – located in Burleigh Heads (Head Office) Qld, Sydney NSW, Melbourne Victoria, Perth WA (now closed)
Sydney RV NSW (no longer a dealer for AutoTrail), Melbourne and European Frankston VIC (no longer trading)
Where the product was sold: Nationally
Dates available for sale: 3 August 2012 – 20 November 2020
Related reading: Why you should be alarmed about caravan safety