Apache RTC1 Camper recalled because of potential gas leak
A recall notice has been issued for 16 Apache RTC1 camper trailers after it was discovered the gas appliances hadn’t been installed in accordance with the gas safety standard.
Jaha Holdings has issued an immediate recall on 16 Apache RTC1 camper trailers after it was discovered the gas appliances had been installed incorrectly. According to the recall notice issued today:
- There is no gas escape hole installed for the cooker and refrigerator in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
2. The ventilation system for the refrigerator has not been installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
The concern is that a gas leak could see a build-up of LPG in the refrigerator rear cavity that could result in a fire. If you own one of these products, consumers should stop using all gas appliances immediately and contact the manufacturer and arrange for inspection/rectification of the gas installation.
Without question, the most dangerous gas in your caravan is Liquidified Petroleum Gas or LPG. It is predominantly a mixture of propane and butane stored under pressure where it partially liquefies, hence the name. It’s extremely dangerous in its compressed state, which is why it is stored in heavy steel cylinders. This compressed storage means that, in the event of a leak, a lot of gas can escape in a short amount of time. In a confined space, such as the interior of a caravan, a gas explosion is almost always catastrophic. In addition to ensuring your caravan or camper trailer has the required gas leak hole and ventilation, some sort of gas leak alarm is very cheap insurance. Read more about caravan safety here.