Great for adding to rolls with cold meat, or as a side for chicken or fish
Half a small cabbage
1 celery stick (optional)
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup French dressing (see below)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 flat teaspoons mustard (Dijon is best)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
- Slice/shred the cabbage finely and soak in some cold water while you make the dressing.
- Whisk together all the French dressing ingredients (except the oil) very well.
- Add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly until it starts to thicken. Set aside.
- Peel and grate the carrots and thinly slice the celery (optional).
- In a large bowl, combine the well-drained cabbage, carrots, French dressing and mayonnaise. Serve chilled.
VARIATION: Turn into Waldorf salad by adding chopped apple, chopped walnuts and celery.