12V lighting with a difference
WORDS Grant Hanan & Linda Bloffwitch
IMAGES & VIDEO My Aussie Travel Guide
There are so many options these days when it comes to campsite lighting, from humble headlamps, portable lanterns, LED lights … the list goes on. But what if I tell you there is a different camp light – one that will light up your whole campsite. It’s extendable, dimmable, plugs into a cig socket and only draws around two amps; plus, its lightweight and packs away in its own carry bag.
OZTRAIL’S COMET 12V CAMPSITE LIGHT 25W
This light has stacks of features:
- The light produces 2800 lumens of LED output
- A low power draw of only two amps
- Uses a flexible fibreglass pole that is collapsible for convenient storage but extendable for elevated lighting
- The aluminium reflector spreads a large circumference of light
- An extra-long lead with a 12V cig plug for powering the light, including an adapter for battery terminal application
- A sand spike for easy off-vehicle mounting
- Velcro straps are included for securing the pole into place
- It comes with a variable dimmer switch to create mood lighting
- The whole lot packs away in its own storage bag (supplied)
The light was very easy to set up and we were surprised at the spread of light it produced. Being an elevated light, at no time did we find we were being blinded when compared to other lights positioned at head height.
We also liked the dimming feature, which is handy when you don’t want a bright light. Being such a lightweight accessory, we did find the light a little hard to control during wind, and the sand spike a little flimsy for hard ground.
Overall, this light is portable, elevated, and draws very little power to produce fantastic lighting. As the saying goes, ‘Let there be light’! And there it was … the Comet from Oztrail. RRP$139.95 for the 25-watt version.